Friday, April 17, 2009

Is Coffee Good, Bad or Both?

Yes, it's true. I mentioned in my last post that while I was following the caveman diet and doing pretty well, I was still indulging in my morning java. I have looked myself squarely in the eye and have asked myself if I was addicted to the brew, and I really do not think that I am. I do not drink it because I get a kick, I drink it because I love it's delicious qualities. If I could find a tea that was ballsy in the same way as coffee I would drink that. Tea is too watery to be a good substitute and then something like hot chocolate (which is not paleo anyway) is too thick and gives me headaches. Coffee is JUST right! I love it's texture, aroma, taste and it seems to be a harbinger of the new day in a similar way to my cat sitting on my chest begging for breakfast. See? Similar.

So a friend of mine and I were discussing the Paleo Diet, and in particular what was not permitted. She gave me a funny look when I said coffee and I nodded in agreement and then confessed to continuing to keep that on the menu. Today she calls me to tell me she is trying this new diet plan and then poses the following question:

"Doesn't coffee have cortisol in it?"

Cortisol is not actually an ingredient and you are not going to 'get it' in any food or drink you consume. Cortisol is a steroid! It is commonly known as the "stress hormone" and recently has gotten tons of bad press with various corisol-blocker diet aids on the market. The truth is that Cortisol is not all bad because it helps to make sure that our brain has enough energy to function, regulates blood pressure and regulates the functioning of our cardiovascular system. It's the effect it has on how our body uses proteins, carbs and fats that has people up in arms. Many studies have shown a direct, positive correlation between cortisol and abdominal fat (ie more stress = more cortisol = more abdominal fat). bummer. And as we know, there is also a correlation between abdominal fat and risk for heart disease, diabetes and more.

But how...and why? Unfortunately this flight-or-fight response instigator causes abnormally increased appetite ALL the while suppressing your metabolic rate (aka thermogenesis). Nice combo huh? But imagine you're a REAL caveman and there's a natural disaster; what do you do to prepare yourself? Eat everything you can, because you don't know when you will be able to eat again, and then store it the best you can. Cortisol is meant to be helpful, but with so many situational (work sources, business, children, family, taxes etc) stresses nowadays that our bodies are working overtime to create cortisol.

Alright now we can get to the coffee cortisol connection. We know now that we are getting too much stress from external stimuli, and then we go and drink our stress also! I'm talking about caffeine which is a biochemical that stimulates the stress reaction in your body! Weird but true.

So while this all sounds bad, and it is do not get me wrong, I will still drink my am cup of joe. However, there are some days that I know I won't appreciate it's flavor and I pass on it, looking to herbal, green or red tea to fill the hot beverage void. Are these the words of an addict? Hardly. But I certainly look differently at an afternoon cup of coffee. I suppose it really isn't that relaxing is it?

I did find two papers that I think you may find interesting. One explains the effects of caffeine and stress on the body. The other is a small study that studied whether cortisol responses could be reduced by familiarizing the body with caffeine on a regular basis. [Hint: They found, in their study anyway, that the cortisol response to caffeine was reduced, but not entirely eliminated, in healthy young people who consumed caffeine on a daily basis.]

http://www.teeccino.com/PDFs/stress.pdf
http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi/reprint/67/5/734

*Also, you may have noticed recently several articles in fitness magazines claiming that coffee can bolster your performance during a workout or race. Remember, caffeine is a stimulant that triggers your 'fight or flight' reaction. If you're sensitive to caffeine then sure, it can get you amped for your workout! So all the information previously stated is still TRUE.

Stay Tuned, a Review is Coming!
I stumbled upon a brand of coffee alternative that looks like it may be the real deal! I have tried the chicory coffee-tea, Celestial Seasonings Morning Thunder and haven't been impressed. I will let you know what I think and give a full report :)




No comments: