Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Stress-busting foods...to not eat?

I have MSN as my home page, so I can see a bunch of different articles listed out for me in one place whenever I sit down. I really like to check on their nutrition/fitness articles and I am amused how the topics are constantly recycled.

ANYWAY, there was a slide show put up the other day that was so awful that it was STAGGERING! That is possibly why I cannot find it now. I have checked the archives and can't find it. If you do, please link it to me! I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the link when I had the chance.

This slideshow was suppose to show us how to eat to avoid stress and/or anxiety during the day regardless of the situations in which we find ourselves. Okay, sounds good right? Great, until you notice that the author recommended snacking on nothing else but SUGAR all day. Graham crackers were listed as a great mood-boosting snack...on their own sans protein or healthy fat. The author actually went so far as to say that you should NOT rely on fruit sugars as they won't boost your blood sugar the same way as (processed) carbs will.

Um...

So this article said "Don't eat fruit. Eat bullshit packaged sugar foods that have no nutritional content." Awesome..who the heck let this slide show get uploaded?!

Can we take a moment and review what it is that has made America obese? Oh that's right, SUGAR. And when I say sugar I am including sugar incarnates such as graham crackers, hard candies, white breads (also 'whole/7 grain' breads, partial whole-wheat breads, etc), crackers, biscuits, cookies, chocolates, just as well as corn syrups, evaporated cane juice and so on. I don't know, but isn't being 200lbs overweight a pretty good stresser (on the body AND mind)?

This article had basically suggested spiking your blood sugars repeatedly all day long. So why not MAINTAIN your blood sugar level instead? That way you completely avoid the low-blood sugar bomb that makes you feel like crap. Stay away from it and you won't feel the need for a spike! And you'll be happier in the long run. Not to mention less hungry.

Not trying to be mean here, but I can see this person's credentials...AND their blood work?

So how do you maintain a constant blood-sugar level? Eating every two to four hours (depending on the size and/or quality of the preceeding meal or snack)can maintain blood sugar levels as can proper nutrient combining. You will see what works best for you if you pay attention. If you eat 200 calories you should probably not be hungry for about 1.5 to 2 hours (rough estimate, will be different for different activity levels/metabolism/body types). If you are hungry in 40 minutes then it wasn't balanced properly for you. A good place to check out balancing like this is www.zonediet.com.

Try not to eat bullshit foods please! Everyone will be better for it; you, your bowels, your family, your friends, your coworkers, and your planet!

No comments: