Thursday, November 13, 2008

Translation to real life...

So being strong is great right? But having actually work for you is even BETTER! Afterall, lifting dumbbells doesn't help me cook dinner!

So about a month ago I purchased a customized coffee table for myself online. It is one of those rustic log tables, it's just half a log! So when it arrived via mail I had to bring it up to my apartment. Ah yes. So it came in a 4.5' tall box about 2' wide on each side and it weighed about 45 lbs. Yes, this is not terribly heavy but as you know it is substantially more difficult to maneuver an odd shaped weight. Or in this case, something almost the same size as my own self!

To make it more fun? Add 4 flights of narrow stairs! YES! Now we're talking!!

As I tried to get just the right grasp on this thing and get it up the stairs I thanked my workouts for helping me train for real life. That is after the rain dampened cardboard ripped and it went cartwheeling down one flight (I suppose I then had to take a moment to thank foam). So for the 3 flights plus one repeater, I had to wrangle it. But I'm thankful because I'm stubborn and did NOT want to leave the not-heavy box in the foyer for 3 days until my boyfriend came to bring it up. That would have been defeatist thinking and on the whole an unthinkable act.

This way I dont have to ask for help to do things...unless of course it's something car or electric related.

Perseverance. Better than just strength.

No comments: